Dont miss our annual Ultimate Snowdrop Sale.
We're happy to announce the next four years' sale dates
28 January 2017
27 January 2018
26 January 2019
Explore the Gardens
There's loads to see at Myddelton House Gardens with just a few of its wonderful features listed below:
The Stone Garden
Mr Bowles created the stone themed bed using the trunk of a fossilised tree found during the excavation of the King George V Reservoir at Chingford.
The cylindrical column of stone is from the first test bore for the pumping station at Whitewebbs in 1897. The mounting block is from the village blacksmith forge in Forty Hill. The round stones were collected by “Bowles Boys”.
The New River
The New River
The New River was masterminded by Sir Hugh Myddelton (1560-1631), a Welsh goldsmith, banker, entrepreneur, MP and self taught engineer.
The canal (The New River) which was originally 38 miles long brings fresh water from Ware in Hertfordshire to Clerkenwell in London and was built between1608-1613.
This loop in the river became redundant in1859 but was kept at the insistence of the Bowles Family (one of the shareholders). It was filled in 1967 with waste from the construction of the Victoria tube line.
The Alpine Meadow
In this area of the garden Mr Bowles created an alpine setting inspired by his plant hunting holidays in the Pyrenees. In spring a mass of snowdrops and crocuses appear. These are followed by daffodils and camassias. In summer the area is carpeted in a blue cloud of wild geraniums.
The Rock Garden
The south facing slope is where Mr Bowles first started to develop the garden we know today. A keen alpinist he took a very personal interest in this area, positioning each rock in place himself. He siphoned water from the New River to feed the lead lined pools in the lower rock garden. Mr Bowles’ ashes were laid here in 1954. There are plans to restore this area to its former glory in the future.
The pond at Myddelton House Gardens
The pond was created by the extraction of gravel which made the mound the house stands on. It was a “puddled pond” (lined with clay) and always leaked, so Mr Bowles diverted water from the nearby “New River” to keep it topped up.
In summer it was common to see him in his blue and white striped Edwardian bathing costume and straw boater pulling up blanket weed in the pond, assisted by the “Bowles Boys”.
The Market Cross
The Enfield Market Cross dates from 1826 and stood in the market place in Enfield Town until 1904 when it was taken down and stored in a builders yard destined to become builder rubble.
Mr Bowles rescued it and had placed as the centrepiece of his rose garden. It’s approximately 3½ feet shorter here as the upper section was possibly damaged in the dismantling.
Now regarded as an invasive species, this prolific weed is originally from Japan. The Latin name for Japanese Knotweed is Fallopia japonica. Planted by Mr Bowles who admired it